Beginning in the 1970s I have developed a system for classifying jigsaw puzzles which makes sense to us. Our mail sale lists are based on this system. For cataloging and displaying our collection, we have divided puzzles into the categories listed below. Each category is a separate web page which you may enter and view by clicking on the heading. Since we continue to build this section of our web site, some of the categories may show very few puzzles.
Please note: these puzzles are not for sale. When we do have a sale each Fall, some of the puzzles will be listed in the "Buy Puzzles" section for sale at that time. Also note: for reference purposes, we are leaving displayed in this section puzzles sold in our sales. The status of each puzzle is listed at the bottom of the display page for each puzzle.
- 19th century puzzles
- 1900 to 1930 hand cut puzzles
- 1930s and 1940s hand cut puzzles
- Puzzles cut by Roland Chesley of Buckfield, ME, and Charles Russell of Auburn, MA (1970s)
- 1950s to 1980s hand cut puzzles
- Pre-1950 die cut cardboard puzzles
- 1950 to current die cut cardboard puzzles
- Puzzles cut by today’s makers
- Children’s puzzles
- Puzzles cut by Armstrong family
- Puzzles cut by Joseph K. Straus Products Corp, Brooklyn, NY (1930s to 1970s)
- Map puzzles from the 20th century
- Novelty puzzles (advertising, contest, 3-D, specialty)
- Pastime puzzles cut by Parker Brothers, Inc, Salem, MA (1908 to 1958)
- Par Puzzles (cut by Frank Ware and John Henriques, Par Co, New York, NY; 1930s to 1970s)
- Par Puzzles from Ted & Ruth Hodgkins' Collection, Worcester, MA
To learn more about my classification on puzzle-cutting styles, see my article on the subject.
Special Theme Collections
I have gathered together some of our puzzles that have a similar theme or subject matter. These usually come from different makers, but form a nice collection when shown and desccribed together.
- Shakespeare Puzzles (added 1/4/2004)
- Galleon Ship Puzzles (added 3/13/2006)
- Ludovici's Dickens Coaching Puzzles
- Dickens Puzzles (other than Ludovici's Coaching) (added 3/13/2006)
- Opera Puzzles
- Unusual Women Puzzles (added 2/17/2006)
- World War I Puzzles (added 3/13/2006)
- Rowing Puzzles
- Arteno Puzzles (added 4/28/2006)
- Wild Bear Puzzles (added 3/14/2007)
- Female Pirate Puzzles (added 3/7/2008)
(more to come later)